Wednesday, August 15, 2012

8 Weeks in Braces! (And a new wire to boot)

On Monday, I celebrated the two month mark in wearing my Six Month Smile braces!  Celebrated might be a bit of a strong word, but still...two months is one third of the way there.  At my  appointment, my dentist decided that one of my upper canines wasn't rotating properly so he took off the bracket (more on that in a minute) and repositioned it by reapplying the glue and curing the bracket to my tooth.  Then he used something that sounds totally harmless called a "Quick Tie" to apply the needed tension to that tooth.  That was the part that REALLY hurt.  In fact, I told him that there was no need to move the tooth TODAY and wasn't this called the six month smile -- not the 6 minute smile?  (Dental humor...but wow, it hurt as he was attaching those.) 

Going back to removing the bracket...he basically used pliers and popped it loose.  Not the most comfortable experience, but nothing compared to the tension he put on my canine.  I had been curious about how all of those brackets would come off -- and now I know. 

After securing the canine bracket again, he placed the same wire back on my top row of teeth.  However, my bottom row is moving up in the world and got a slightly larger gauge wire.  The thicker the wire, the stronger the pressure it can put on your teeth.  It honestly was a breeze to pop the lower wire on.

Needless to say, I'm eating somewhat gingerly on top.  But, I suspect that in the next few days, I'll be back to normal again ;) 

Hope this blog is helping those of you who are trying to decide if the Six Month Smile is right for you!

9 comments:

  1. Don't worry time will come you will surpass it. God Bless.


    Regards,
    Phoenix Dentist

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got my six month smile procedure done on August 8th. It's been about 3 weeks and I haven't noticed much movement. When did you start noticing movement with your braces?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have noticed any movement in the first couple of weeks if I hadn't taken some snapshots. Honestly, the movement is pretty slight in the early days. I'd say that I saw a recognizable difference - no photos needed -- at 5 and a half weeks. But, everyone is different! Hope you've had an easy go of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pediatric dentist pearland

    Karsil Dental Professionals in Pearland, Texas provides optimal family and restorative dentistry by treating your mouth as part of your whole body. The result is long-lasting comfort, function, and naturally beautiful teeth six month smile braces

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Best Dentists in Orange County dentist on Yelp. Read about spots like: Smile Solutions Dentistry, Cosmetic and Dental Implant Center, crown and denture, straight teeth without braces, local dentist, extractions, root canal, braces.


    braces

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog is definitely helpful! It’s nice to see how you’re documenting all the experiences and updates in getting your teeth straightened through dental braces. It gives us a clear idea on how the journey is, all the ups and downs, and whether it would be a good decision for us as well. Thank you!

    Lenita Shives

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don’t worry. I'm sure you are well on your way into achieving that perfect smile. While two months might be nothing for some people, I think you have made a lot of progress ever since, in my opinion! I'm so happy for you and your journey.
    Dr. Jason Dew @ GRMetroDental

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Congratulations! It’s nice to hear about someone sharing their experience on getting braces. I’m sure so much time have passed since then, so did you already have them removed? Braces really do a lot in aligning the growth of your teeth, don’t they? They really help in giving people better smiles.
    Joo Kwon

    ReplyDelete